Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Role of Man

I was talking to a friend the other day.  He was telling me about his philosophy.  He brought up the idea that it's the man's job in life to provide for his family and also that you need to find a purpose in life that once you attain all that, then you can then be content and die happy.

Sounds noble enough, right?  A guy trying to find his way in life.  Doing his job providing everything his family needs.  Striving for a purpose so that once it is attained he can look back and be satisfied.

This greatly troubled me though.

That philosophy can be summed up like this:  You are in charge of your own destiny.  For this idea to come to fruition, the man must have control of his life.  His surroundings.  This... just doesn't happen.  People get laid off unexpectedly.  Sometimes people get sick and there's nothing you can do to make it better.  Your plans don't always work out like you thought they would.  When something unfortunate like that does happen, you get left unfulfilled.  So you try to do the best you can, but it may never be enough.

Furthermore, you are delaying your contentment until some undefined point in the future.  It's up to you to find something to fill that void of purpose in your life.  People try to fill it with all kinds of things.  Even living totally for your family, your kids, can't completely fill it up.  It's hard to find a lasting peace with all this responsibility heaped upon your shoulders.

There is a better way. 

As a follower of Christ, I find my answers, strength, purpose, and reason for living in Him.  Over the past years, especially this past year, that has become more than just words for me - I know it deep down to be true.

Because I realize my own deep inadequacy, I can rely on Him for answers to the tough decisions in life.  Because I realize that life is ultimately empty on my own, He has room to fill me with His purpose.
Because I realize I have no real control over what happens in my life, I can stop trying so hard and simply trust Him to give me the strength to handle it.

You could take all my family, friends, and stuff away.  I would be devastated of course, but not defeated.  My hope, my purpose, is in something far greater.  Family and friends are just here to share my life with.  To help me as I help them.  They don't define me.  And that's how it should be.  

I could die right now and be fully satisfied.  Aside from being sad for my family and friends because life will be a bit harder for them, I am actually kind of looking forward to it.  But I'm still glorifying God as long as I'm living here.  That is my purpose.  I encourage you to look into it.  You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment