Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why Drink?


I've always been the odd man out when it comes to drinking.  I just see no reason to indulge in that.  I have tried many various types of alcohol and all of them...well... taste like alcohol.  Yuck.  People say it's an acquired taste.  I guess so.  But why would I want to go through the trouble of acquiring it?


It tastes gross.  Lots of calories in there.  It's quite expensive.  You literally have to plan around it and designate people to drive you home. 

And if you drink too much.... well.  That can get you into real trouble.  It's fun!  Liquid courage!  Well... if you have to be drunk to relax and have fun, or to talk to someone, I'd say there's something fundamentally wrong that you need to look into.  I have lots of fun without any of that.  And if you need to be drunk in order to do something crazy, that's a pretty good indicator that you shouldn't be doing that at all.  Sometimes we laugh at things that look odd and don't make sense to us.  Oftentimes we laugh at what drunken people are doing.  Is there a connection there?  I think so!

I am quite happy and content with life as it is.  If there's something in my life that I want to do but can't seem to muster up the courage or willpower, it's far more satisfying and encouraging to just press on and conquer it under my own strength.  Or if I truly can't do it on my own, I simply rely on God and trust him.  Unfortunately some people put alcohol in their lives as the answer to things.  It becomes a god to them.

And worst of all is the addictive nature of it.  If you let it, it will consume you.  You can become dependent on it for some darker purpose, for running away, for numbing your pain.  Stop!  Deal with the issue!  It's the only way to make it go away.  God forgives you.  Deal with that, and the rest just melts away. 

But you're missing the point!  I get that one a lot too.  And I fully admit it, I am.  Maybe someone can help me find the point one day but I haven't seen it yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment