Thursday, October 31, 2013

Be Careful when Doing Good

I was about to leave work when I saw a co-worker walking around trying to find someone to give their car a jump.  I'm no car mechanic, but I did have some cables, and had used them before.  So we go outside and I drive my car over.  I looked at the instructions for a minute, then proceed to successfully jump their car out in the pouring rain. 

It felt good.  Very good.  I'm glad I could help them out.  It was kinda fun actually.  I was thankful that I had the chance to do this before and that I had been taught at least a little bit about cars. 

But after a while I realized something.  There was a bit of a temptation to congratulate myself too much.  "Great job, you did it!"  "You are awesome!"  I recognized this for what it was.  Sin. 

Of course you will feel good, and maybe you really did do a good job of going above and beyond.  There's no harm in feeling good about doing that.  But - the second you switch your focus from being thankful you could help others to praising yourself, inflating yourself with pride, even thankful that you alone were able to do it - that's where you start to fall down spiritually. 

Always keeping your focus on God and others keeps this problem at bay nicely - although that's easier said than done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment